International Group Health insurance for employees working and or living abroad. Short and long term plan options.
As an employer you have a couple options for your Global Employees. Remember you only need two employees working abroad to qualify for a “group International Plan.”
When your employees are outside the U.S. you need to check with your current group health insurance carrier to see how they will cover your employee while abroad. The vast majority of domestic carriers will provide limited emergency only coverage. The employee is responsible for paying the doctors or hospitals and request a reimbursement after the services are provides.
Example of Employer Group Coverage …
There is no interaction with the domestic health plan while you are on foreign assignment, all correspondence is regarding the claims. U.S. health insurance companies are not equipped to interact with foreign medical systems.
On the other hand international medical insurance companies are specifically designed to work within the global medical environment. They contract doctors and hospitals, pay claims direct so the employee doesn’t have to. They have 24/7 member service lines and video conferencing. Also, interpreters ready to step in. Preventive care, basic doctor visits and Rx services.
Group international medical insurance is the best way to properly protect and cover you employees while they are working abroad. Group plans start at 2 employees, another option is to enroll your employees in “individual policies,” this works well if you only have a few employees who are quite healthy, since there are a few health questions which need to be answered before approval. Where as the group plans do not medically underwrite, and are guarantee issue policies regardless of health status.
- “Individual” International Medical Plans .. Some employers will enroll a few employees on an “individual” plan, it is easy, quick and provides very comprehensive, flexible and quality policies. “Individual” International medical plans will typically “underwrite” for approval. Which means they will review the medical history of the applicant before approval. The underwriting is limited, but the applicant must be approved before the policy becomes active. If the employee has underlying domestic group health insurance, the underwriting is very liberal, with just a few health related questions. Other than the approval process, “individual” global medical plans” are a great choice.
- “Group” International Health Insurance .. The “Group Health” option is available with guaranteed issue and is can be used for as little as 2 international employees. Regardless of how many employees a company employs. The group coverage is only for the employees who are working abroad. The “Guarantee Issue” aspect of the “Group” policy is a great option when the employer does not want to deal with an approval process.
Both “Individual” and “Group” plans offer unlimited medical coverage, $0 – $5,000 deductible options, and 100% coverage available, Rx, maternity, doctor visits, lab & X-ray etc. Plus all all the popular services available such as; the ‘mobile app’ 24/7 member services, and a team of risk management professionals ready to help you through any situation while abroad.
Global medical protection for; Employees on foreign work assignment, International Students, U.S. Inbound & U.S. Outbound families, Expatriates and Third country nationals. Coverage resulting from terrorism, policies for high risk areas
Global Medical Insurance … Comprehensive medical coverage designed for individuals, families and employer groups, short and long-term for both inbound and outbound locations with access to the finest medical professionals worldwide.
Coverage includes; hospital coverage, outpatient, prescription drugs, maternity care, lab and X Ray, annual screenings and preventive care and most other comprehensive medical services. Along with access to an elite network of doctors, hospitals and specialists in over 180 countries.
A Medical Emergency Strikes … and you are currently working outside the U.S. What do you do, who do you call, where do you go?
Can you get in contact with your domestic carrier? If so, will they tell you where the nearest modernized medical facility or hospital is in; Asia, Africa, Europe, Australia or any other part of the world? Do you need an Air Evacuation to a medical facility, maybe to a different country or even back home for care. Will you domestic group health plan pay for this? Of course not.
Be careful, neither domestic health insurance, Medicare or workers compensation will pay for air transport to a different country or back to the states. Air transportation costs can easily exceed $50,000 especially if a nurse travels with you. Emergency Medical Evac can be a life saver if you are in a region or country ill-equipped to care for your medical needs.
Great Technology at your fingertips …
GeoBlue Travel Insurance company has some interesting and useful applications you can use on any mobile device. Quickly and conveniently connect to quality care across the globe for anything from emergency needs, to filling a simple prescription, to translating your symptoms, to finding the right doctor at home or abroad.
With a few simple taps, get detailed profiles of carefully selected primary care physicians and specialists, as well as a broad range of hospitals, pharmacies, even dentists-where you are, when you need it. Review qualifications, make an appointment, and get directions, right from the App or a mobile device. Plus, proof of coverage is always at your fingertips, ready to show and share with providers. Mobile Assistance is backed 24/7 by our toll free assistance line.
- Cigna Global – over 1 Million providers worldwide
- Blue Cross Blue Shield Global
- Employer Group Plans 2 – 500 employees
Please contact me anytime with questions.
Quote & Information Request: