All Stanford international students are required to have adequate health insurance for the duration of their academic program at Sanford University and every day you are in the United States as an international student.
GeoBlue is an approved health insurance plan of Stanford University for it’s inbound and outbound International Students.
Students must be enrolled in a health insurance plan for their entire stay in the U.S., including school break periods. We encourage all students to carry their health insurance card and be aware of your options if you get sick or in case of emergency.
The GeoBlue plan exceeds the US Department of State J-1 and F-1 Status Visa requirements, and exceeds the minimum standards established by the University.
International Student Information for (Waiving) Cardinal Care
If you are an international student, you must have coverage that meets or exceeds minimum standards established by the university in order to request an exemption from Cardinal Care coverage. These requirements for coverage are in place to ensure that any non-U.S. based plan you have will serve your health care needs adequately while you are a student at Stanford.
Your alternative insurance policy must cover; the entire academic period of September 1 through August 31 with benefits that meet or exceed the following minimum standards:
- An annual deductible less than $1,000 USD.
- Lifetime aggregate maximum benefit of at least $2,000,000 USD or a maximum per condition/per lifetime benefit of $500,000 USD.
- Coverage for inpatient and outpatient medical care in the San Francisco Bay Area and the U.S.
- Coverage for inpatient and outpatient mental health care in the San Francisco Bay Area and the U.S.
- Prescription drug coverage.
- Coverage for non-emergency as well as emergency care.
- Coverage for pre-existing conditions or you have met applicable waiting periods.
GeoBlue is a leader in helping world travelers gain access to quality healthcare services all around the globe.
GeoBlue combines ongoing research, a contracted global community of physicians and hospitals, advanced Internet applications, and wide experience in international health insurance to ensure customers’ health, safety and peace of mind. Founded in 1997, GeoBlue has grown to become a leading provider of international health insurance programs and services.
GeoBlue offers a full range of individual and group specialty health insurance programs, all of which include GeoBlue’s Global Health and Safety Services available online, through their 24/7 medical assistance call center and via mobile device. Presently, GeoBlue annually provides health insurance products to over 500,000 individuals who travel, study or live outside of their home country.
A one-call solution for any issue
- With GeoBlue, members get concierge-level service, meaning it’s prompt and easy to get care when they need it, wherever they are.
- Global services are available 24/7/365 to assist members with anything from arranging direct pay, coordinating evacuations or getting the proper follow up care.
- For administrators, GeoBlue is readily available to help you assist your students with any question, problem or concern whether it’s related to the expected or unexpected.
EMERGENCY MEDICAL EVACUATION …
This is very important coverage and should be included in all international plans! Domestic health insurance does not provide coverage for emergency air evacuations. Emergency Medical Evacuation or Repatriation is;
- Your medical condition warrants immediate transportation from the place where you are located (due to inadequate medical facilities) to the nearest adequate medical facility where medical treatment can be obtained.
- After being treated at a local medical facility, your medical condition warrants transportation with a qualified medical attendant to your Home Country to obtain further medical treatment or to recover.
Access to the largest network in the U.S.
GeoBlue members have access to the Blue Cross Blue Shield network—the largest in the U.S. The 92% of doctors and 96% of hospitals participating allow for maximum convenience and flexibility for those in need of healthcare services. This network will bill GeoBlue directly so members don’t have to worry about out-of-pocket expenses during care—whether it’s inpatient or outpatient.
Great Technology at your Fingertips … GeoBlue Travel Insurance company has some interesting and useful applications you can use on any mobile device. Quickly and conveniently connect to quality care across the globe for anything from emergency needs, to filling a simple prescription, to translating your symptoms, to finding the right doctor at home or abroad.
With a few simple taps, get detailed profiles of carefully selected primary care physicians and specialists, as well as a broad range of hospitals, pharmacies, even dentists-where you are, when you need it. Review qualifications, make an appointment, and get directions, right from the App or a mobile device. Plus, proof of coverage is always at your fingertips, ready to show and share with providers. Mobile Assistance is backed 24/7 by our toll free assistance line.
Please call for details